Do you have a pet with medical problems and are you on a therapeutic diet? Then you should be aware of how important it is for your beloved pet to adhere to a planned diet prescribed by his vet. You may also have experienced how deadly it can be if this pet of yours has ever experienced a change of food.
In 2020 and 2021, there were quite a few lockdowns due to COVID-19. And during these lockdowns it was always a big challenge to find the desired food brands. Thus, many pet owners had many difficulties in meeting the nutritional needs of their pets.
According to many research reports, many pets were affected during this period because they were not given their prescribed diet. Pet owners had no choice as both online and offline stores functioned erratically during those periods and did not supply the required amount of food. So it was a new lesson for mankind to store and store essential items.
The people learned to behave like ants storing food for future use. Due to the way the world works, many unforeseen incidents can lead to closures for a significant period of time.
During these periods, the stored food not only comes to your rescue, but even ensures the well-being of your pet.
Tips for running out of food for your pet
Now let’s see how to save your pet in case the food runs out. Following are some tips you can follow to ensure the proper supply of pet food:
- Use the technology. Visit the websites or mobile apps of retailers, small or large, and check to see if they have the pet food you’re looking for in stock. If you’re lucky enough to find one, don’t waste your time. Then order it right away. The retailer may ask for some extra money to deliver. If there is no other option, it is wise to use the product at this increased price. Just verify that the retailer sells the original product.
- Depending on the additional information provided by the retailers’ websites or mobile apps. Some websites or apps may not have the product themselves. But they can guide you by giving you the locations where your required products can be available. Sometimes they can refer you to a vet who may have that nutritional product in his/her supply. Grab these opportunities and make the most of them.
- Enlist the help of social media. Post your wishes on social media. You may be lucky enough to get a positive response.
- In the case of dry food, it often happens that a bag of a certain size of your desired product is not available. So do not search for your product through a specific quantity filter. It is possible that a small or a large bag is in stock at the retailer. Don’t think twice. Just get it in one go. If you find that there is more than one small pouch of your desired pet food product available, there is nothing better than that. Then order multiple packages.
- Beware of the alternative options† These alternatives can be provided by retailers’ websites or mobile apps. The algorithms set by most of these websites or apps will give you alternative options for your desired pet food product based on the composition. It’s not that these alternative options aren’t reliable. These can work just fine for those pets that don’t have any medical complications. However, if your pet has medical complications and your vet has prescribed him a therapeutic diet, do not order these alternative options right away. It is better to call your vet and consult with him/her. You may have some questions. ask them. Tell the vet the exact composition of the alternatively available pet food product. If approved by the vet, check with your vet that the amount remains the same for this alternative product as for the originally prescribed product.
- Beware of the alternative flavors available. As mentioned before, all pets may not find it easy to switch between different flavors. Specifically for those pets with medical complications, altering the flavors of their food can also be deadly. So always consult your vet before ordering an alternative flavor.
Also read: How to choose food for older dogs
- Consult a veterinary nutritionist which is certified by the American College of Vet Nutrition if you are considering preparing your pet’s food yourself when your pet’s dry food runs out. The problem of preparing the pet food at home is finding the right balance in the recipe. The recipe should be nutritionally balanced so that your pet enjoys the meals and maintains his health standards. The food must also be tasty enough so that your pet can digest it well.
The vet dietitians can help you achieve this goal. However, in lockdown cases, it can be extremely difficult to get a hold of the vet’s nutritionist. So if you have the idea of preparing your pet’s food at home, you should be prepared when the situation is normal. When the situation becomes normal, visit a veterinary nutritionist with your pet. While keeping track of your pet’s weight, breed, and other important aspects, the nutritionist will teach you how to cook the pet food. Pet food should be nutritionally balanced. This training will be of great help in the event that a situation arises where your pet’s ready-to-eat food is not available.