Dogs are masters at sneaking things they shouldn’t, but a Tampa woman had a first when her dog ate a drone. She doesn’t know how it happened, but the poor pup suddenly started to get very sick.
When she took her dog for emergency care, she feared she wouldn’t be able to pay the medical bills. But thanks to the help of many dog lovers, the woman didn’t have to break the bank to keep her dog alive. If she hadn’t brought her in so quickly, the drone probably would have killed her furry friend.
Detecting a Foreign Object
Lindsey Williams soon became concerned when her Pit Bull named Jada became lethargic and started vomiting. She wasn’t eating or drinking, so Williams watched her for 24 hours. When symptoms did not improve, Williams took Jada to the Humane Society of Tampa Bay to ask for help.
dr. Justin Boorstein of the Human Society said Jada swallowed a foreign object and needed surgery. Upon closer observation, he saw that she had drone pieces in her body. Jada may have also consumed part of a finger splint. Williams is currently unemployed, so she feared she would not be able to afford surgery.
“I burst into tears because I was very scared. I was concerned. I was really terrified,” Williams said. “For me it was very emotional because I felt like I was letting her down because I couldn’t afford the surgery.”
Operation is a success!
dr. Boorstein operated on Jada, which saved her life. He said if the drone pieces had not been removed, the pup would have been in critical condition within a few days.
“Had Jada not had surgery I would say 24-48 hours, unfortunately there would probably have been a hole in the gut that would have led to an infection in the abdomen and would have had a very poor prognosis,” says Dr. said Boorstein.
The Humane Society helped Williams pay for Jada’s surgery by using donations from their “Save a Pet” fund. There has been an increase in pet parents who are struggling to pay medical bills, so the Save a Pet fund aims to support the families that need help covering vet bills.
RELATED: If Your Dog Swallows One of These Common Items, Get to the Vet
Jada is fine, taking everything into consideration. It’s unclear why she thought a drone could be tasty, but she probably regrets eating it. Dogs may enjoy eating random items outside, but in some cases those items can be life-threatening. So it’s always a good idea to keep a close eye on your furry friend outside.
Featured Image: Instagram