Let’s be honest. The legalization of marijuana is becoming a thing. No judgment here. If you use it, that’s your decision. However, it is imperative that you do so responsibly. You need to make sure that you at least keep the weeds out of reach of those who might be affected by them, including dogs.
That said, accidents do happen. Dogs do things they shouldn’t, especially when it comes to edible marijuana products. Call your vet right away if your dog eats something he shouldn’t be eating.
Should your pup manage to get into your stash, take the following steps to ensure they are safe and cared for in an overconsumption and overdose emergency.
Observe your pet
Some pets may only become slightly wobbly or lethargic after consuming marijuana, but this doesn’t mean you get a pass to relax.
Three grams of THC — the reactive ingredient in jar — per two pounds of your dog’s weight can be deadly. That’s a lot of weed, to be honest, and probably more than your dog would ever eat.
However, smaller amounts can still lead to seizures or comas. So if your dog starts showing these serious symptoms, you should: take them to a vet for emergencies immediately.
In addition, medical grade marijuana can contain much more THC and much less is needed to be dangerous to dogs. That’s why it’s so important to keep it out of reach.
Write down any symptoms your dog has. Try to find out exactly what your dog ate and when. You should have this information ready for your vet as it will help them give the right kind of treatment.
Be Aware of the Signs of Marijuana Toxicity in Dogs
Regardless of whether your dog has eaten a lot of marijuana or just a small amount, you should… call your vet as fast as you can. Symptoms from small doses are usually not a big concern, but it’s best to be safe.
Here are some signs of mild to moderate marijuana poisoning in dogs to watch out for and report to your vet:
- Wobbly, uncoordinated movements
- Barking, crying or whining
- Dilated pupils or unusual eye movements
- slowed breathing
- Changes in body temperature
- Hyperactivity or excitement
- fast heart rate
Usually these symptoms disappear quickly, but they can make your dog very miserable. It is best that you call your vet and get their advice for treatment. In the meantime, keep your dog hydrated with plenty of water.
Signs of more serious marijuana poisoning include tremors, seizures, and coma. You should contact an emergency vet immediately if you see these symptoms.
Take your dog to the vet
If your dog has seizures, becomes comatose or becomes unresponsive, take them to the vet immediately for emergencies† These could be signs of overdose poisoning and at that point your vet is the only one who can treat your dog successfully.
Your vet will inevitably ask you if your dog has ingested any substances.
Whether your dog got sick from marijuana you have legally or illegally in your home, tell the truth.
It’s not your vet’s job to report you to the authorities, it’s their job to rescue your pet. They can’t do this if you don’t tell them what happened.
Everyone at home should avoid further risks
Make sure everyone in your house knows to keep drugs out of the reach of children and pets at all times. This is the most important step and the best way to keep your pets safe.
A small dog can eat a stray joint on a coffee table and get very high or sick. So anyone who lives in your home and visits your home should understand the dangers and risks and be prepared to take precautions to keep your pup safe.
Tell all your family members where to find your vet’s phone number in case of an emergency when you are not at home. If you have to work long hours, you may want to assign a trusted caretaker to keep an eye on your pet when you are at work.
You may even notice minor changes in your dog’s behavior. However, if you live with roommates or other people, they may not be as attuned to your pup as you are. Discuss with them the possible effects of marijuana on dogs so that they know what to look for and report this to the vet.
Don’t let this happen to your dog
One of our readers came home from work and noticed that their pug was behaving very strangely one day. It took him about an hour to realize that his pup was eating a joint that his roommate had left on a table while he was working.
He questioned his roommate, who told him that the pup had been acting strangely all day. The dog parent determined that his pug probably ate the marijuana before and was happy to end the effects. He decided to keep an eye on the pup, feed him a meal of scrambled eggs and keep him hydrated.
This time it went well, but that’s not always the case, and it is always better to call your vet for advice† The whole situation could have been avoided if the roommate knew the dangers and was more careful to keep his weed out of reach.
All household members should exercise caution if a dog lives in the home.
Does everyone in your house know how to keep harmful substances out of your dogs’ reach? Has your dog ever accidentally eaten something it shouldn’t have? Let us know in the comments below!