Nothing shows how much you love your pet except that you take a dog’s health insurance for them!
By giving them the best medical care, you can return the favor of their unquestionable companionship and unconditional love. If you’re a pet parent of a non-native dog breed, soaring vet bills can burn a hole in your pocket.
The cost of owning a dog can multiply because of:
- pet injuries,
- Health issues,
- Therapy Costs for Behavioral Problems in Dogs
- And adaptation costs to help them live in India
Luckily, you have pet insurance to take care of it!
Pet insurance is the latest insurance scheme introduced in India. It helps you eliminate the risk of high costs for your dog’s medical treatment. But before you calculate the cost of health insurance dogview the types and benefits of pet insurance.
Types of Pet Health Insurance Coverage
You can your . to elect health insurance for dogs depending on the type of coverage you want.
- Lifetime Coverage – It protects your pet from any critical/prolonged illness.
- Time-limited coverage – It only provides financial protection for your pet for a certain period of time after suffering an illness or injury.
- Money Limit Coverage – It offers you financial benefits to cover your pet’s medical expenses. It has no time limit. So, until you hit the cash limit, all your pet’s medical bills are covered.
Read more: Dog Price List in India 2021 – Budget Friendly Dog
What does dog insurance cover?
Just like our insurance, health insurance for dogs also has some inclusions and exclusions in coverages.
Included – canine health insurance
- Death by accident
- Illness contracted while the policy is in effect
- Treatment costs
- An accident during transport (rail, air or road)
- Loss/theft of the pet
- incapacity for work
- Accidental Poisoning
- Third Party Liability
Exclusions – dog insurance
- Intentional or spiteful injury to the pet
- Injury or illness caused by neglect or improper handling of the pet
- Any loss or injury caused to a pet as a result of – a war, foreign hostility, revolution, rebellion, military upheaval, etc.,
- Death of a pet from:
- viral hepatitis,
- viral enteritis,
- Other causes as stated in the insurance company’s policy
- An illness contracted before taking out the pet policy
Some of the prominent names in India for pet insurance are:
- New India Insurance
- United India Insurance
- oriental insurance
Benefits of dog insurance in India
Customized health insurance policies
You can customize the pet insurance plans according to your type of pet such as dogs, cats, birds, etc.
All pet insurance plans are approved by IRDA (Insurance Regulatory and Development Authority). In addition, you can choose from different types of pet insurance policies available under this plan,
- Livestock insurance
- dog insurance
- Horse insurance
- cat insurance
- Poultry insurance
- camel insurance
- Pig insurance
- Goat insurance
- And more
Insured amount in dog health insurance
Let’s say you want health insurance for dogs for your pet. The insured amount can range from Rs. 15,000 to Rs. 30,000 depending on dog breed and other related health and environmental factors.
Some insurers offer specific supplements to your health insurance for dogs such as Future Generali. It will result in a loss of your dog’s show entry fee due to injury or illness.
Third Party Liability
Some pet insurance policies provide liability coverage. Like instances
- If your dog bites/attacks a third person
- if your dog causes damage to third party property
Read more: How to register a dog in India?
What Factors Affect Your Dog’s Health Insurance In India?
Average premium for health insurance for dogs can vary from €200 to Rs. 10,000 in India. Its costs depend on:
- The type of pet insurance you take
- The basic rate of premium of an Indian insurance company
- The age, dog breed and location where you live in India
- The add-ons you include in the policy (Add-ons vary from insurance company to company)
Pet insurance allows you to better manage your finances to cover your dog’s medical expenses. It also improves the quality of life of older dogs. Therefore, read the offers and conditions of insurance companies carefully before taking one health insurance for dogs. Always choose the insurance that suits you best.